Thursday, November 3, 2011

Birthday!

On November 8, I'm turning (gack) 24.

TWENTY FOUR! That is officially mid-twenties. That is the oldest thing I've ever heard.

Just kidding, clearly. My mom keeps getting mad at me for saying that but I just feel so... strange. I feel like I'm a 35 year old in a 23 year old body but then, at the same time, I feel like I can't possibly be 24 already because I haven't done anything with my life. I've never been out of the country (except Juarez, which doesn't count because it's just basically the most dangerous, dirty place ever... well, the bar area I've been to!). I don't own a house. I'm not married or even engaged. I still have my car debt. I have a degree but other than that, what have I really done?

I tend to overthink things (clearly), so Boyfriend has been great about encouraging me to just chill out and enjoy a day to celebrate me. I kind of thought it would just be another day (last year, I worked all day and then ate dinner with my family and went to bed early), but then the party planning started.

Boyfriend's mom offered to throw me a party and I'm incredibly flattered. Boyfriend's family is large and very, very close (geographically and emotionally) so we are CONSTANTLY going to birthday parties for his grandpa, his grandma, his mom, his aunt Brenda, his aunt Michelle, his aunt Sylvia, his uncle Ric, his uncle Louie, his cousins Alex, Adam, Jasmine, Jeremy, Isaiah, Josiah, his little cousin Camren and soon to be 1 year old Catalina. Whew. There are a lot of birthdays and since I've been with Boyfriend for over two years, that means I've cycled through a full two times and some three times.

So with all of my birthday participation, I feel very included to have my own party for his family. His mom is a great cook and a great hostess, plus I always have a good time with his family and I'm excited. Then my mom offered to throw me a backyard BBQ birthday party the very next day. My family (mom/dad, grandma, and sister Jess with "aunts" Leigh and Arlene and "uncles" Bill and Don and their kids) usually has a restaurant dinner celebration (we usually go out to a nicer restaurant, sometimes in El Paso for a bigger selection) but I haven't had a home party from my parents since I was 18. I'm very excited for a nice, laid-back party.

On my actual birthday, Boyfriend is taking the evening off work and taking me out... I'm not sure where yet, but I'm excited to have a weekday evening with him! It'll be nice to have some time, just the two of us, to celebrate not only my birthday but our relationship. Sometimes I think it's easy to overlook that, but it's such a great part of my life and I love him so much.

He is also planning something with our friends the following Saturday after my birthday: dinner at Texas Roadhouse (a tradition in our group of friends) and then having everyone over at our house for cake and ice cream. :o)

I can't wait to celebrate with Boyfriend's family, with my family, and with my friends, all such separate groups but such blessings in my life. I think this will be a great start to my mid-twenties!

No comments:

Post a Comment