Monday, June 4, 2012

Summer

Summer is such the best. I used to think I only loved summer because of those carefree, no school days, but nope. There's something magical about summer, especially summers in New Mexico and ESPECIALLY summer evenings in New Mexico. Desert summer evenings are pefect: the desert air doesn't hold onto the heat, so evenings are as cool as the wind but still, and bright with the moon, and wonderful.

One of my absolute FAVORITE things about summer is the food. Avocados, watermelon, strawberries, nectarines, honeydew... wonderful, fresh, cool foods for the hot summer weather. Fiance and I have gone through FOUR watermelons in one month. I LOVE watermelon.

That's one of the reasons I'm so set on a summer wedding. My parents were married in June (in Brawley California, in 114 degree weather, fo which they were thankful as the weather forcasted 120 that day!) and I love the thought of the warm sun on their shoulders, of dancing all night in strapless dresses without shivering, of beautiful summer sunsets as their backdrop.

I'm so glad Fiance and I have the same ideas on climate. My little, Dianna, once told me she thinks there are three to five serious issues on which couples need to agree before they can move forward into a real, forever kind of relationship. The first, of course, being whether they are ready for a monogamous relationship. The next, deciding whether or not to have kids (and if so, how many? One? Five?). The third, how to handle money at home (spend it all? Save it all? Spend some, save some?). The fourth, what kind of climate is preferrable to the family? Does one hate snow and the other love the cold? Compromise, of course, is always an option, but like Dianna said, I think couples should be on similar pages when it comes to WHERE to put down roots.

Of course, a real relationship can happen without solidifying ALL of these issues (like climate or money), but it does make it easier to know these things upfront before jumping into marriage and realizing that your partner spends WAY more than you make.

ANYWAY, where was I going with this? Oh, right. Climate.

Fiance has done manual labor stuff through college (working at a plant nursery and then lugging boxes) and in doing so, has become EXTREMELY heat tolerant. I, on the other hand, have AWFUL circulation and I'm ALWAYS cold. I was too cold in Boston in November. I wore leggings under all my jeans, then a camisole, a tshirt, a sweater, a parka and a scarf the entire time I was there. Bostonians were wearing just t-shirts and leggings. My skin is not thick. And I LOVE the heat. Every winter when we get some random snow storm and the city shuts down and I shiver until my stomach actually hurts, we curse the cold and talk about moving to Phoenix as soon as possible!

What about you? Are you a summer person or a winter person? I'm DEFINITELY a summer person!

No comments:

Post a Comment