Monday, January 17, 2011

Golden Globes (Or, The Difference Between Boyfriend and Jenna)

As I might or might not have briefly mentioned, Boyfriend is a Movie Lover. He's a snob about them, even. He hates cheesy movies, which was almost a downfall in our relationship when I told him that my favorite movie is Miracle, that one about the 1980 hockey team that beat the Soviet Union when nobody thought they could. It's cheesy, inspirational, and full of sports cliches. I love it.

Boyfriend, on the other hand, thinks that The Hurricane is an inspirational sports movie. Not to be Spoiler Susie, but let me give you a little rundown about this movie. Homie goes to jail for 30 years for a crime he didn't do! It's full of racial prejudice and dirty cops and grudges... oh, he eventually gets out, but after watching what really happens in solitary confinement, it's hard to bounce back into reality, let alone call it "inspirational". Geez.

Among Boyfriend's favorite movies are these: Godfather II, Taxi Driver, No Country for Old Men and The Dark Knight (thanks to a long-standing obsession with Batman stemming from childhood). My favorite movies are: Miracle, D2: The Mighty Ducks, Some Like it Hot, and 101 Dalmations. As you can see, our taste in movies is not what brought us together.

The Academy Awards and the Golden Globes have always been a sort of trying time between Boyfriend and me. It's the classic story. Boy meets girl. Girl likes boy. Boy and girl fall in love. Boy and girl watch the Oscars. Boy likes to pay attention to boring awesome categories like Best Score and Best Cinematography. Girl likes to look for interesting/hideous dresses and comment loudly on them. Boy gets frustrated with girl after she shrieks about another ugly dress. Boy and girl watch the rest of the show in semi-silence.

Maybe not a classic story for everyone, but definitely for us.

This awards show was different. We are entering our second awards season as a couple and you can see the effort on both parts. It probably helps that now that we have been together for over a full calendar year (January-December), I've managed to see all but 2 of the major films nominated in each category (The king's speech and the kids are all right)... mainly thanks to Boyfriend's excitement about good new movies. This at least kept me interested in watching the awards so I could say gems like, "Oh I thought Natalie Portman did a wonderful job in that freaky movie Black Swan" or "the guy from facebook is kind of a jerk". Boyfriend let me make comments on the weird fabric on Leighton (although I doubt Blair Waldorf would have allowed herself to be seen that way...) endlessly.

Boyfriend drew the "compromising" line at talking during De Niro's speech. As you can probably guess, the man Boyfriend calls "Bobby De Niro" (since they are close, personal friends, of course) is an idol. I paid my respect by staying quiet during the dedication. Boundries, you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment