Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Blending Lives

I consider myself an independent woman. Other than my cell phone and my car insurance (thanks, mom and dad!), I pay for everything else in my life. Clothes, health insurance, eye exams, dentist, gas, oil changes, 401k, utilities, rent, etc. I'm proud of what I've accomplished so far. I have a healthy savings and a stable checking account.

But in less than a year, I'll be married with a new last name and I'll have a whole new world.

Fiance and I have separate bank accounts now (something we both really wanted to keep separate until marriage), but once we're married, we will definitely have a joint account. One of the main reasons for this is that eventually, we'll have kids and I really want to stay home with them for a few years when they are babies. At that point, having separate accounts would not work so well. Plus, I figure if you can't trust sharing your money with your husband, you probably shouldn't be marrying them, hmmm?

But the process scares me. I figure I'll move to his bank, but he's in an account with his mom (which works great because he does a lot of bill paying/running errands for her now before he gets into full time work), which I definitely don't want as a married couple. So we'll both have to get brand new accounts to share. But when? Before the wedding, before the honeymoon? After everything? Once I change my name?

Anyone have any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment