Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Ash Wednesday

I've never been one to celebrate Mardi Gras (since I live in New Mexico, not Louisiana, and I work the next day), but as a Catholic, I know that Mardi Gras is really just the day before Ash Wednesday and the season of Lent. Lent, in case you haven't heard, is the time to give up a vice or introduce a good habit to your life, as well as a time to remind yourself to get closer to God (or whatever you believe in!).

I've gone through a lot of Lent seasons in my life. I vividly remember giving up chocolate milk in elementary school, which was a big deal since EVERYONE got chocolate milk at lunch instead of regular milk. That was hard but it definitely showed me how easy it is to get dependent on the luxuries in our life, be it chocolate milk, alcohol, material things, etc.

Lent is a big Catholic thing, but I don't think you have to be Catholic to take this time to introduce good habits and your own form of spirituality to your life or to remove a vice from your life. Any chance to improve myself is good enough for me, and that's why I'm a sucker for New Year's Resolutions, 25 before 25 lists, Bucket Lists, etc.

This year? I'll be giving up something big: french fries.

I LOVE FRENCH FRIES. They're the perfect food: salty, starchy, delicious, golden, crispy. I've always loved french fries, particularly from McDonalds. But no more, for 40 days and 40 nights. Instead of french fries, I'll be snacking on healthier foods and staying strong. I'm also going to be trying to cook at home more and use healthier, local, organic foods more often, but since I'm not setting a requirement for myself (like to always eat at home or not eat anything processed, which would be not only extremely hard but expensive and time consuming), I'll just try to use this as a guideline rather than a restriction (like the restriction on french fries).

In addition, I'm adding some quiet time for myself. I am not a "quiet time" type of person. I always have something going on: a book I'm reading, writing to be done, work, time with friends, cleaning, etc. But I've decided that in order to find peace and true happiness in my own life, I need some quiet time to just think and relax. I think this will help me be less judgmental or frustrated with people in my life (I'm not actually mad or frustrated with anyone, but I've noticed I snap more often at the dogs or at Boyfriend over tiny matters).

I'm also going to be more open minded about things that I know are important to Boyfriend, like his gangster movies. I find myself resisting when there's nothing to be worried about: all it takes is a couple hours of my time for a movie, and it always makes Boyfriend so happy. Why shouldn't I make this a priority when it helps Boyfriend and, in turn, our relationship?

Are you doing anything for Lent? Giving anything up? Doing something to better your life?

1 comment:

  1. Those are great goals Jenna! It's hard for me to have quiet time too.
    I'm thinking I should limit my screen time. I don't watch TV except right before bed, but I think I should limit my time on Pinterest and Facebook and the like and spend that time writing or doing something outdoors.

    ReplyDelete