Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Facebook Phenomenon

I understand that it's easy to judge another person when you're reading their blog and seeing their priorities day after day. It's also easy to get to know who a person really is when you're working right next to them or when you grew up next to them. It isn't, however, as easy to get to know a person on Facebook unless you truly know them already.

You might be thinking, "Hey, it's absolutely easy to get to know someone! They're constantly posting their thoughts and their feelings! How can you say that?"

Recently, I've been thinking about how people actually present themselves on Facebook. You have a couple different classes: people that are constantly sad about their life (always posting how awful their life is), people that are always upbeat ("my life is PERFECT, so lucky to have my amazing boyfriend/kids/job!"), the oversharers, the vague ones ("why do i keep falling for this?" or "really? again?").

I don't think I'm part of this phenomenon to any extreme, but I would say I'm more of a happy, upbeat person. I'm not the type that airs dirty laundry. And I'm a generally happy person anyway, so I tend to look at the cup as half full.

I'll expand on this sometime in one of my upcoming columns, but I wanted to see what you all thought. What type are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment