Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Root of all Evil

It's true what they say, that there is no resisting and no redemption. Your regret starts the minute you give in but by that time, it's too late and you're on your way out, clutching your material loves and feeling a little dazed, as though you honestly can't remember what happened.

There is no resisting the effects of the super-store Target.

I have yet to make it through a Target trip without spending an obscene amount of money. This obscenity usually varies depending on the amount of money I have. If I've just been paid, the obscenity may be a much higher number than sometimes in college when even spending $15 was too much for me.

Today, my temptation was a beautiful purple bedspread. I've looked at this bedspread before but I wasn't really willing to pay full price for it. Today, on a lonely shelf, one sale bedspread sat alone, calling to me, 30 percent off because of a minor repackaging deal, no issue with the spread at all. Since my current sheets are purple too, I of course had to find some new sheets to go along with it.

And now, here I sit, with buyer's remorse. I love my current bedspread. It was a Christmas gift from my parents when I was just about to get my own room in the sorority house so instead of just one awkward twin extra-long bed, I'd have a king size bed all to myself. My bedspread is filled with memories of my peach colored sorority room, of dozens of my sisters piling in with me, of movie nights, of curling up in the bedspread feeling sick but feeling comforted by the thick material.

But I just couldn't help myself! Target always makes you feel like you get such great deals (which you do), so you have to snatch it up so that it doesn't get away. The next thing you know, you're walking out with a whole new bedroom set.

You win this round, Target.

No comments:

Post a Comment