Thursday, February 3, 2011

Let it Snow!

This winter has been one of the most mild in southern New Mexico memory, at least for me. On Christmas Day, I wore a short-sleeved blouse with no jacket, in sunny temperatures of around... 65? With the exception of the FREEZING Sun Bowl I attended (see some of my previous posts), this winter has been really nice.

Except for this week.

The snow started on Tuesday evening, falling steadily and almost sticking to the ground. Shadow had his first experience with it and... hated it. At first! He kept growling at the falling snow from the window, in this deep deep growl, like it was a predator about to come through the sliding glass door and eat us alive.



But because he loves water, he got over it. Now he loves it. :o)

I went to sleep and woke up to a city of white. Everything closed down on Wednesday in my sleepy little town. Since we do live in southern New Mexico, we are not equipped with any cold-weather equipment... such as snowtires, snow plows, salt for the roads, anything. So instead of face a horrible insurance nightmare, we all shut down over some ice on the roads and 2-4 inches of snow. County offices shut down, the schools shut down, my work, most work. Pipes froze and burst. We are in the midst of rolling electrical shortages because our electric company can't handle the extra pressure of all the heaters going crazy.

It's been a middle-of-the-week vacation for the past two days and I loved it!

But it's back to work for me tomorrow. If we close tomorrow, we'll be completely screwed next week, so I really hope everything works out.

Back to snuggling in my snuggy with Shadow, drinking tea, watching Gilmore Girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment