Wednesday, February 17, 2016

The Traveling Life

This has been such a whirlwind month.

I came out to Atlanta on January 6, a few days before I was officially supposed to start, because there was a big strategic meeting that they wanted me, as the communications manager, to attend. I was totally ready to go, but there was one big problem: my relocation had not been approved, because my offer was given right in the middle of the holidays, so a bunch of people who needed to approve my sum and the dates and everything were on vacation. So the week I was supposed to leave, the HR manager called and asked if everything was ready.

"Um," I said.

"What's going on?" he asked.

"I haven't heard about my lump sum for relocation, so I can't buy my ticket or set up temporary housing yet."

Pause.

"I'll check."

Long story short, the holidays SEVERELY threw off the system of relocation. Normally, the relocation benefits are distributed really quickly after someone is hired (like, days later). Because I was hired on December 17, I got pushed back and nobody could tell me when or how I would get any relocation benefits. These benefits are used for temporary housing, temporary living expenses, a flight out, etc.

Instead, the HR manager set me up for a hotel for January, a rental car, and a flight out to Atlanta. In fact, I didn't even get approved for relocation until AFTER I had been working for four days. That's insane. It took another five days to even get the lump sum out to me. #firstworldproblems

But through it all, this company has been so so so great. They've really taken care of me, and any company that cares for its people this much is clearly the kind of place I want to be. They even paid to send me to South Carolina for safety leadership training, where I am now. Today, I fly home to El Paso to start the long drive back out to Atlanta with Josh!

I'm so ready to be done living out of a suitcase. I packed about 9 tops, because I was only supposed to be out here until the end of January (which got extended due to work schedules), and here I am, three weeks past that, and so ready to see the rest of my clothes.

But more than anything, I am excited to see these faces, Khaleesi and Shadow! My babies!



Wish us luck on our 20 hour drive!

No comments:

Post a Comment