Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Happy Birthday, America!

The 4th of July is my second favorite holiday after Christmas.

This might sound strange. I know very few people that love the 4th of July more than Thanksgiving or Halloween or Easter, but I do. I love it. I love that it usually calls for a relaxing backyard cookout with family and friends. I love that there is very little family pressure (when you're trying to split time, as Boyfriend and I do) and instead, you are allowed to hang out with friends for a while if you'd like. I love that the night ends with a big fireworks show. I love that it's summer, which in New Mexico means absolutely perfect summer evenings. I love the watermelon that is in season during the 4th of July. And I love seeing people get patriotic and teary-eyed over what our country has done in just a few hundred years.

This weekend was no different. Thanks to my work schedule, I had an awesome four day weekend to celebrate the 4th of July. We kicked it off with a nice lunch with Mikey and Thomas at Wingstop (amazing), followed by games and reading. Saturday morning, Boyfriend and I headed over to my mom's house to help her and my dad paint my old room a bright yellow. By the end, Boyfriend had no paint on him and I was completely covered.

Sigh.

Then we all showered and got ready and headed out to The Double Eagle for a double date with my parents :o) The Double Eagle is a really nice restaurant in our town, in Old Mesilla, with big chandeliers and beautiful tables and wonderful food. I had scallops in a white wine cream sauce. Boyfriend had chicken with green chile and sauce, my mom had the same scallops, and my dad had steak. We paired it off with pomegranate margaritas (me), chocolate martinis (my mom), jack and coke (Boyfriend), and manhattens (dad). Then... we went to Wendys for chocolate frostys!

Classy, right?

Sunday, we spend most of the day with Boyfriend's mom. We had a little bbq and watched Lord of the Rings. That night, we met up with Mikey and Thomas again to see Transformers 3, which was actually a lot better than I thought it was going to be! I love bumblebee!

Monday, we split time with our families for 4th of July cookouts. Shadow wasn't a big fan of the fireworks, so we spent part of the time holding him in our laps while he was a big, 70 lb creature trembling in fear. It breaks my heart to see my little puppy so scared. Boyfriend thinks I baby him (hint: I do).

Going to work yesterday was hard hard hard, but today I had the women's soccer game to look forward to... until we lost 2-1 to Sweden. Oh well. Now we take on Brazil on Sunday! Woo!

What a weekend. How was yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment