Monday, May 16, 2011

Good Friends

Good friends, the kind you can always rely on, are truly irreplaceable. I realized that this weekend, starting with a party for my good friend Thomas. Thomas, as I've mentioned before, introduced Boyfriend and me almost three years ago and is Boyfriend's best friend. The party was at my friend Mikey's house and we spent hours drinking Dos Equis, playing beer pong, and singing along to music from our college years.

I had such a good time and I am so thankful for the guys in my life that have taught me about men. Boyfriend's cousin Jeremy said (later on, over some green chile cheese friends at village inn) to the table in general that he had never heard me say anything "dumb", which I guess he meant in the typical girl way. The guys were amazed that for Boyfriend and my anniversary, I'm buying him six video games that he wants. They love that when they say, "hey guys, come over and we'll play some beer pong", I simply reply, "Boyfriend, you go. I have to work in the morning. You might as well have some fun while I'm sleeping." Jeremy also said he was going to send over his girls to "learn" from me lol. :o)

The truth is, Mikey, Thomas, and Boyfriend (before he was Boyfriend) have taught me so much about men and women. I saw the inner circle of guys and how they talk about girls, which girls earn their respect, and what type of girls are what they call "keepers". It's not just about looks... a lot of it is about how they act around their friends (if the girl is too high maintenance, she becomes annoying, but if she's too 'one of the guys', she's just a bro). I'm really thankful for the guidance these guys gave me before I was dating Boyfriend. They really taught me that in order to find the right guy, I just had to relax. Girls worry so much about being feminine, about being friendly, about being girly enough but not too girly, about establishing a good relationship and the balance between power and mutual respect.

I was lucky enough to be around some of the most decent guys around. Thomas is a great friend and will make a great boyfriend... a lot of girls flirt but I know he's picky. Mikey is sweet and flirty but has a good heart. And Boyfriend... Boyfriend is definitely a diamond in the rough. I'm so happy to be with them and I'm happy they let me in their inner circle.

The next day, I went to a baby shower for my good friend Blairre. It's so exciting to see her stomach get bigger and to imagine that little baby Carson will soon be out in the real world. I'm so excited for her. Blairre and I have been friends since high school and we've been through so much together... breakups, break-downs, concerts, schennanigans, fights, football games, parties, and weddings. She will be a great mom and I can't believe how far we've come since we became friends when I was 17!

Right after the baby shower, I headed to my friend Dani's graduation party. Danielle and I have been friends since at least kindergarten, so we're going on 19 years or so. I can't believe that we've stayed friends all these years (we were even college roommates... it's very rare to find two girls that can live together and still be friends afterward! lol). She's really helped me be more social and to embrace my quirky side. She's definitely someone I believe I will be friends with for the rest of my life.

And Sunday, I spent time with Boyfriend. We get so busy (graduations, baby showers, birthday parties, etc) that sometimes it's nice to just spend a day playing MarioKart on the Wii and eat pizza in our pajamas. I'm so happy that he's my boyfriend and my best friend at the same time... he always makes me laugh and we are usually on the same wave-length (at least three or four times this weekend, we'd say random things at the same exact times... like "there's a snake in my boot!" lol). And he's so, so good to me... which brings me to my next exciting news:


I don't know if you spotted them right away but it's my anniversary present from Boyfriend... diamond earrings! I get my present early because Boyfriend gets his first game tonight at midnight :o) Aren't they beautiful?

Tonight I'm counting my blessings. Hope you are, too.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment